Your bill includes a lot of valuable information. Here's a guide to understanding what it's telling you.
You will also find an electronic copy (a PDF file) of your last 18 months of bills attached to your account in SmartHub.
Your Bill’s Main Information Areas:
1 Contact Information
Here is your mailing address, as well as information on how to contact HomeWorks, whether you want to call with a question, use our emergency number to report an outage 24 hours a day, email us, or stop by our offices in Blanchard or Portland.
2 Account Information
This area includes your basic account information, gathered together in one concise location.
• your account number
• the rate you are being charged
• the due date of the current bill
• when the bill was issued
• the number of days between meter readings
• your meter number, and
• the energy used per day last year and this year, for comparison
The ACCOUNT STATUS section shows:
• your previous balance
• when we received your latest payment
• any remaining balance before this month’s bill
Watch this space for information that may change from month to month. We’ll alert you to upcoming events, special deals, or required notifications.
4 Energy Use & Charges
The bill breaks out your costs between the actual energy charge and the Power Supply Cost Recovery charge/credit. You’ll see the dates your meter was read, along with the previous and latest readings, and the current rate per energy unit.
5 Other Charges & Credits
This area includes any other charges, surcharges, credits, and Michigan sales tax.
• The Availability Charge recovers some of the costs of serving you: a transformer, a power line and pole(s), the meter(s), power restoration systems, meter data acquisition, billing expenses, remittance processing, and collections. Our most recent cost of service study shows this cost is actually over $36 per month.
• The Energy Optimization surcharge pays for a legislated program that helps our members reduce their energy use.
• Michigan sales tax (at 4%) is required on energy sales unless you are eligible for an exemption. If you are, please contact our office to make sure your paperwork is up to date.
• This is also where you’ll find your Load Management (LM) credit for participating in our water heater program, and any other charges or credits that may be applied to your account.
What is a Power Supply Cost Recovery factor?
Each year, our staff and Wolverine Power Cooperative work together to estimate how much power our members will need for the coming year, and how much it will cost to generate or purchase that power for you to use. That estimated cost is passed on to you through our current approved rates, adjusted by the Power Supply Cost Recovery (PSCR) factor on your monthly power bill.
Where does the money go?
Each month, actual power costs are compared to how much was collected through the PSCR factor. If power costs are higher than estimated, we end up with an “under collection.” But if power costs less to generate than expected, it results in an “over collection.”
We hold over collections in a special account, and that account's balance is reported to the cooperative’s board of directors each month. The PSCR may then be adjusted to collect less from members in the future.
Why don’t you estimate power costs more accurately, so there’s no over or under collection?
Estimating power costs is difficult. As we've seen in recent years, fuel costs can change dramatically without much notice. Wolverine makes its estimates based on historical information and its contracts for future fuel deliveries, but weather, pipeline problems, and other factors can change the actual costs. The board of directors approves these estimates and has the final costs audited.
HomeWorks Tri-County Electric Cooperative has brought electric power to rural homes, farms and businesses for over 75 years. HomeWorks’ affiliates, including Tri-County Propane, also bring needed services to rural areas, from price-capped propane to high speed satellite Internet.
Contact Us By Phone:
Customer Service: 1-800-562-8232
Outages and Service Emergencies: 1-800-848-9333
Visit Our Offices:
7973 E. Grand River
Portland, MI 48875
get map and directions
3681 Costabella Ave.
Blanchard, MI 49310
get map and directions
Find Us On Facebook:
Please call us at the phone numbers shown above, or use the “Contact Us” link at homeworks.org
Click on a magazine cover below to download a full PDF of that issue, or select a different year above.